Have had neck sprain, did not take any medicine. Having severe pain from shoulder to neck. How to get rid of it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have neck sprain on 19th apr . i did not take any any medicine and i feel ok after 4 - 5 days. but from yesterday i have sever pain in my neck and pain move from shoulder and neck. i am not able to move my neck .

i am from Sikkim india
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
The pain in the neck and shoulder that you are having now is likely to be related to the neck sprain and muscle spasm that you have suffered recently.
Such muscle spasms can be relieved with a combination of mild pain killer and muscle relaxant like Mahagesic MR 4mg taken twice daily after meals.
In addition to this, you need to do a hot fomentation in the affected area and apply a local analgesic gel like Volini gel thrice daily for symptomatic relief.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist after the acute pain subsides to prevent any recurrences.
You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.