Have had nausea, fever and stomach pain. Ultrasound showed splenic artery and fatty liver. Anything serious?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
i have had nausea, fever and occasional stomach pain for 4 months. i have had all normal blood tests, stool tests, h pylori tests, ct of abdomen and pelvis and mri of abdomen all with contrast. an ultrasound did show splenic artery showed no flow on color doppler. i do have fatty liver and showed enlarged liver. what could be wrong with me? more likely cancer?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 20 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you give more information on :-
1. Exact location of pain in your abdomen.
2. Whether the pain has any association with meals?
3. Your food habits.
4. Your job profile.
5. Whether pain is associated with nausea?

Answers to the above queries will help to plan your medical management properly.

Follow-up: Have had nausea, fever and stomach pain. Ultrasound showed splenic artery and fatty liver. Anything serious? 1 hour later
pain is in upper right very occassionally like once a week and it is a sharp stab for a couple of seconds then gone. i also get same pain upper left then is not associated with nausea. the nausea and low grade fever is every day all day. but the fever and nausea disappear at about 10 pm every night. only to return once i am awake and moving around.. eating does not effect any of it. it doesnt make it worse or better. i eat low fat most of the time. i drink mostly water. i have lost 25 pounds because of the nausea. i am a stay at home mom.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 7 hours later

Thanks for providing more information.

The given symptoms are not the usual characters of cancer. Cancer is associated with chronic long lasting pain unlike your short bouts of stabbing pain. Further CT and MRI scan are very effective in picking up abdominal cancers and it was normal in your case.

As your pain is in both upper right and left quadrant, I would like to exclude the possibility of gastric ulcerations. Endoscopy is an useful tool here. Discuss with your doctor and plan the test whenever feasible.

You mentioned that you are on omeprazole. We can add prokinetic drugs such as domperidone for additional benefits. Antacid in gel or liquid form such as Syp Mucaine gel could be helpful too.

Fatty changes are usually seen in alcoholics and obese individuals. I hope you do not consume alcohol. And as weight is influence our digestive capabilities as well as liver function, watch over your weight carefully.

In addition the following precautions will be helpful :-
1. Avoid spicy and oily foods.
2. Do not miss a meal.
3. Avoid mental or emotional stress.
4. Avoid smoking/alcohol, if any.
5. Do not self medicate, especially with pain killers and steroids.

Lastly, you also need to consider deworming.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.