Have had mirena. Having sharp pains in lower abdomen, experiencing nausea and headaches. Are they related?

Question
i have had the Mirena for over a year and I am now having sharp stabbing pains in my lower abdomen also been experiencing nausea and headaches is all this related? and what could be the cause of all this
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Pain in the Right lower abdomen in a young female with nausea and headache could be due to -
1) Pelvic inflammatory disease - Imaging could be normal and you may have leukorrhoea. More likely since you have an IUD
2) dysuria and frequency
3) Tubo-ovarian pathologies - are usually visible on imaging studies unless it is a transient problem like torsion
4) Inguinal hernia - is rare in females
Discuss with your GP and get a good examination and some basic investigations done to sort out the issue.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Have had mirena. Having sharp pains in lower abdomen, experiencing nausea and headaches. Are they related? 6 minutes later
its kinda a constant dull apin but then at times its a sharp pain that just hits me! I just wanted to check if it could possibly be pregnancy or the iud is becoming lodged in my uterus
Also there is no discharge or anything coming out it just the pain cramping, and discomfort, and the sharp shooting pains. i also feel pinching sometimes when i stand up or stretch but they are more off to the sides of my uterus almost like its my ovaries

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you are having regular periods then pregnancy is not likely. Pelvic inflammation seems to be a likely cause. IUD is not likely to get displaced. However, investigations like ultrasound scan and a physical examination will help in confirmation of the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have had mirena. Having sharp pains in lower abdomen, experiencing nausea and headaches. Are they related? 3 minutes later
Im not having periods anymore haven't for about a year now. if it is pid how is it cured? should I get the IUD out

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
If it is PID, then you will need proper antibiotics to control the infection. Removal of IUD is not indicated immediately. First we need to detect the exact cause and then proceed with the specific treatment.
Regards.