Have had migraine headaches. Why is there neck pain, metallic taste in mouth now? Connected to root canal?

I have had migraines and tension headaches all my life. However in the last few weeks I have started getting a different type. Pain in neck radiating to whole head. Metallic taste in mouth. Pain is not there in the morning when I get up but within 3 - 5 hours it comes on - everyday. Pain is very bad. If I lie down the headache will be gone within 1 hour. Metallic taste remains. I recently had a root canal and a crown. Dentist has taken X-rays and says there is no problem and no infection.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

The pain and headache that you are having can be due to cervical spondolysis or due to it muscle spasm of the occipitalis and other muscles of the scalp. The spasm can be so intense that the muscle will feel bruised or sore even after the tension has been released.These muscle spasms then cause primary headache like tension headache.

Apply alternate warm and cold compresses and take some over the counter NSAID analgesic(pain reliever) like ibuprofen(advil/motrin) or acetaminophen after consulting your doctor. Application of muscle relaxant to the part is also helpful. If there is no relief then get an X-ray of the neck done to rule out any cervical spondolysis.

Metallic taste in the mouth is caused by caused by anaerobic bacteria that live within our bodies. These bacteria can grow in number very quickly when given the right environment or food source thus causing a bad taste in mouth.

It can be due to dental caries, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, medications like antibiotics, vitamins and antidepressants, poor oral hygiene etc. Are you taking any antibiotics like metronidazole or tinidazole?

I suggest you to get an examination done from a dentist and get dental caries and GERD ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.