Have had low grade fever and coughing. Used nebuliser with albuterol. Chest is sore and back hurts

I've had some kind of URI the past 4 days and don't know whether to go to the hospital or what..i've had a low grade fever but I have been coughing myself crazy and bringing up phlegm that is white..I have a nebulizer but all i have to use in it is Albuterol which helps some but still no real relief but my wife has some 50mg lasix that I took yesterday and today and the coughing has let up a lot and my lungs are clearer but my chest is very sore and my upper back hurts a lot..i was afraid to go to the hospital since I have to go to the V.A. hospital here in Beckley and they don't want to admit you unless ur temp. is over 101..should I just let it ride another day or so and see if the symptoms go away or what would u suggest...???
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your history it seems that you are having bronchitis. Wheezing and impacted phelgem need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief. Taking lasix will not help you much.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.