Have had lots of clear sticky fluid secreting from groin area. What is the best way to cure this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
I have had, what I think, is jock itch for about a week now but the last few days I have had lots of clear sticky fluid secreting from my groin area. I have been using the sprays and powders and they have reduced some of the itching, but the fluid is still secreting. What is this and what is a better way to cure this? Thank you
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Hi there.
It does appear to be a fungal infection that you are describing.
First, use a 2% ketoconazole soap ..leave it on your skin for 10-15 mts contact while bathing.
Use a mixed cortisone-antifungal cream combi-mix for 3-5 days & stop
Shift to a plain antifungal cream or spray (preferable either 2% ketoconazole or 1% terbinafine base) for a 1-2 week period.
If no respite, use a systemic fluconazole 200mg capsule but may need a prescription so do check with your physician on the ground before you do so.
This should sort you out. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Have had lots of clear sticky fluid secreting from groin area. What is the best way to cure this? 24 hours later
It is subsiding, but the fluid was actually secreting from my testes... Would the creams/soaps still work for that? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
Hi there.
Fluid secreted from the testes will not be seen or manifest outside..it will collect in the scrotal sac to form what is called a hydrocele.
Your problem appears to be as i have diagnosed. Yes the creams/soaps et al should provide relief.
If you still feel it is from the testes, then am afreaid you need to visit a general surgeon or a urologist to confirm the same & take it forward.
If it has resolved, even 25% with my suggestions, then we are on the right track. Do continue with the treatment, close this query & we welcome happy ratings ;-)
just kidding..take care & do hope it resolves completely..of course we are only online here..always best to get a doc on the ground take a look..dermatologist or surgeon..ur pick..we tend to think as dermatologists' we are generally better looking & more in tune with the 'medicine' aspects of things than our 'surgical' colleagues :) Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD