Have had knee tendonitis. Experiencing pain in back while bending. Are they related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter practices rhythmic gymnastic sport. She recently suffered knee tendonitis for 6 weeks, but recovered very well a week ago. But now there is problem with her back: when she does backward back bending, she experienced a lots of pain. When she is not doing any back bending, she does not feel any pain on her back. Is this back problem something to do with the knee? Shall I bring her to see doctor to get X-ray on the back, or just let her rest?
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
According to the clinical history provided the back pain could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture, excessive exercise without adequate warming up, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest her to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by her Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain. Hot fomentation in the area will also be very helpful. The exercises are recommended after the acute pain subsides after adequate rest.
One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of her spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case she has any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by the Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by the Orthopedician, she may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give her relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest her to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put her back to strain. You can discuss about this with her Gym instructor.

Give her a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

Kindly follow up with me about her progress.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.