Have had itchy and dry scrotum. Noticed clear liquid discharge after scratching. How to cure it?

Jul 2012

Hi, I have had an itchy scrotum for about 4 years now.

My scrotum gets dry, and itchy and it discharges a clear liquid when I scratch it too hard (at first I thought this was sweat, but doesn't seem like it). The constant scratching has turned my scrotal skin very rough and almost snake-like texture.

How can I cure this?

Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 49 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
First, one has to treat any underlying fungal infections if any. Use a betamethasone + miconazole cream (something like Candid -B if resident in india). Then shift to a plain antifungal eg 2% ketoconazole cream applied twice/daily for a week or two.
Then shift to an emollient like Elovera that will help moisturise & help in the rough scaly skin & is to be used for 2-3 weeks.
For best results though, this has to be seen on the ground by a dermatologist.
All the Best & do hope my suggestions work for you. Cheers! If in Bangalore, do drop into my clinic.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Have had itchy and dry scrotum. Noticed clear liquid discharge after scratching. How to cure it? 2 days later

I also have mild and not so chronic scaly, itchy, dry skin in my elbow pits and knee pits (behind the knees).

Would all of this suggest something?

Also, I am not in India. What OTC medicines in the US can help me?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
This may only suggest a form of eczema called atopic dermatitis.
Please use a plain hydrocortisone cream that should sort out the problem in these areas. Also lots & lots of moisturizers & emollients will be beneficial...Aveeno products may be useful in the US.
These are about the only OTC products that will help you.
Please do remember on the net, this is the most we can help out with. Please do close the query if done & wish you all the best for your skin & continued good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have had itchy and dry scrotum. Noticed clear liquid discharge after scratching. How to cure it? 10 hours later
One final question, XXXXXXX :)

Is eczema completely curable? Because I've had this for 4 years and I did use some creams before and they provided temporary relief. I want to cure the condition, not the symptoms.

I understand a complete diagnosis cannot be done over the net. I am just seeking information on this based on your expertise.

Thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 14 hours later
No i dont want to propound the theory that Eczema can be 'cured'. However, if there is A particular factor responsible for the eczema, then, Yes it can be cured. It requires a detailed history taking & time with the patient physically & perhaps a battery of allergy tests depending on that history. It may require a multidisciplinary approach eg...psychiatrist, allergy specialist, Physician & a dermatologist to unravel the mystery of eczema.
Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD