Have had itching, pain and black dots at the top part of butt crack. What could this be?

I am 55 years old. 5' 2" and 123 lbs. For the last week I have had itching and pain at the top part of my butt crack almost like my tail bone was hurting. It looked kind of bruised at first but now I have a bunch of small black dots right at that site. What could that be?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It may be possible that you have had a small infection under the skin in the area which you have described. Sometimes this can become a system. This is referred to as a pilonidal cyst.

It is possible that the skin changes you're seeing are related to the inflammation that sometimes happens with a small infection. Generally your new system will be a will to handle this but if you still have pain in that area you might need to talk to your doctor about possible antibiotic therapy.

Thanks again for submitting your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up concerns.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Have had itching, pain and black dots at the top part of butt crack. What could this be? 15 hours later
Thank you for your timely response. This morning I am a little bit more uncomfortable and the spots are spreading so I am going to make an appointment to see my doctor. I think that you are right and that I do have an infection that needs addressed.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up.

I'm very glad to know that you are going to see your doctor to discuss appropriate management. Please feel free to share with me any additional concerns you might have.

Dr. Robert