Have had intermittent rectal bleeding. Having pain while bowel movement and releasing gas. Is it serious?

Hi ,
I have had intermittent rectal bleeding for the last 3/4 years . I am a 38 year old female . The bleeding occurs once every 6 months or so . This time it has occuured over the last 2 weeks , twice at differnt times . I got checked out by my GP who did the finger glove exam and he said I was just tense in that area . The blood is usualy bright red and comes on the toilet paper or in the bowel . I dont have any abdomonal pain , but do have the feeling sometimes of mild constipatipon pain of needing to go to the loo , that i need to empty my bowel completly . When i dont bleed and I go to the loo for abowel movement I dont normally have this feeling I feel relieved till my next bowel movement . I tend to release gas quite abit even after bowel movement . I donot havre that much fiber in my diet but do genreally eat well .I would appreciate your advice on this and am scared I may have a more underlying serious condition
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
After going thro your history and examination details, I feel that u have what is called anal fissure (crack in the anal canal and anus) and that is the reason for the tense anus as your doctor said (We call it sphincter spasm)
Bright red blood is usually suggestive of anal fissure again. There may or may not be associated piles.
Cancer usually presents as blood mixed with stools, alternating constipation with loose stools, constant feel to open bowels with resultant only blood and mucus with no stools.
So ur description fits in well only with anal fissure. This is best diagnosed by inspection of the area and finger examination can be done after inspection as the crack is better seen than felt.
If diagnosed so, the doc will put on stool softeners, local anesthetic cream and diet advice.
Overall this treatable and there is nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query, kindly get back for doubts if any..
DR G Srinivasan
Follow-up: Have had intermittent rectal bleeding. Having pain while bowel movement and releasing gas. Is it serious? 20 hours later
I just wanted to add that sometimes I have mild abdomen pain , this normally is when I need to go to the toilet . From the start of the pain I am not able to go to the toilet fro at least 6 -12 hours is this normal . I feel the need but no bowel movemt happens . Could the fact that I eat quite alot of spicy food and drink alcohol also be causing the rectal bledding ?? I had another incident today , despite not straining too hard . I am just worried that as I dont starin that much why I would bleed .

Many thanks for your help
Thanks for your reply.
I understand that you are suffering from abnormal or in-coordinated bowel movements.
A surgeon or gastro- enterologist consult is needed to do the appropriate tests and proceed.
Hope this helps. kindly get back for doubts, if any.
Get well soon, regards