Have had hurt knee, never had an X-ray. Felt concrete while playing. Is it fracture?

I hurt my right knee 20 years ago i felt on concrete playing handball,right away i felt severe pain,they never did any xrays but i was not able to bend my rigjt knee for a few weeks.i think i fracture my right knee but it never got taken care.when i touch it it feels num sometimes it hurts bad can this be fix?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 3 days later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Knee joint injuries are common sports injuries. But do you say that it has occurred before 20 years? Probably you would have had sprain, semilunar cartilage injury or partial rupture of medial collateral ligament, a common injuries noticed in the type of fall you are talking about. In case of sprain of ligament, no laxity or abnormal mobility is felt and pain increases on bending the knee. But it usually goes away in 2 weeks time.

In case of injuries to semilunar cartilages of knee, there would have been an acute pain at the time of injury along with locking of knee in flexion (bending posture). The knee gets swollen due to effusion and it may subside in about a week. But this recurs as locking of knee with effusion resulting in pain, swelling and inability to bend.

The present numbness may also be an independent occurrence and may not be related to the earlier injury and could be due to inflammatory conditions like bursitis or tendonitis. Bursitis can occur due to trauma, repeated friction or mechanical irritation. Hydrocodone is an effective analgesic and pain while you are still on it means that your pain should be a very severe pain which needs attention.

Please consult an orthopedician. Since you are young and will like to have an active life, it is better to find out the cause which needs physical examination and investigations like X-Ray and MRI.

I hope this helps. Please contact me if you have any further queries. I shall be happy to help you.