Have had hives. Disappearing after soaking in epsom salt, with bruise area like patches.Sore behind ear

I have had hives for nearly 4 weeks We think an allergic reaction to sulphur ,soaking feet in epsom salts. It is slowly disappearing but l eaving huge areas of bruise like patches . I am still sore behind ear like tender gland

Does this take some time to heal?

Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
After an allergic reaction, the local inflammation in the skin can cause a bruise like skin pigmentation. Since these are slowly disappearing, there is nothing to worry. Avoid exposure to sun in the affected parts.
The rashes may take 2-3 months to fade off completely.
The mild lymph node swelling behind the ear can be due to a minor scalp infection, impacted wax or an allergic reaction too. If the tenderness is persistent then a direct examination is needed to find out any possible infections. Oral broad spectrum antibiotics are then needed to control the infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have had hives. Disappearing after soaking in epsom salt, with bruise area like patches.Sore behind ear 10 minutes later
Many thanks
It looks like it does take time to go away completely , my Dr thought it could also be a reaction to a virus but my naturopath did pinpoint the sulphur as it reminded me of allergies I have had in the past to antibiotics with sulphur in them

Its a horrid thing
Appreciated XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
A viral infection is not likely to cause localized persistent rashes. Allergic rashes is a more likely possibility.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.