Have had hip surgery and painful to sit. Can a woman be vaginally examined without stirrups?

Can a woman be vaginally examined without sturrips? I have had hip surgeries and find that position very difficult and painful so I have not been examined for a long time. I have to find a new Gyn so what needs to be told prior to my exam?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Vaginal examination without putting the legs in stirrups is a bit difficult but it is possible. The per speculum examination is more difficult.
You can ask your gynecologist to avoid putting your legs in stirrups and you can keep your feet at the edge of the examination table. The position you will have to request for vaginal examination is lithotomy position without stirrups.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.