Have had hernia. Right testicle close to body, feeling uncomfortable. Should I consider to remove it?

My right testicle is close to the body. I had a hernia years ago. It has not become any worse but is uncomfortable on e.g. a hard chair or sitting all day. Can I stretch the ball away or do something to make it less uncomfortable. I do avoid tight underpants and wear boxers anyway. Should i consider having it removed? I will not be having any more children
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 52 minutes later
I am not surprised that your right testis is still close to your body despite surgery for hernia and as an undescended testis and hernia frequently co-exist and we should therefore assume that some attempt at bringing the testis down must have been made at the time of hernia repair (which might not always succeed depending on the anatomy).
I do not think there is anything physical you can do other than what you have already attempted. Avoid pain-killers, especially long term.
A testis which is not in the conventional position quite often causes minor troubles, but it is really up to the patient to judge if it is causing such a bother in daily routine to consider having it permanently removed and such a decision should not be hasty, but should be arrived at after having considered the pros and cons, e.g. a reduction in circulating testosterone levels is a theoretical possibility if the other testis fails to compensate, whereby you might feel a loss of drive, energy, libido. On the other hand, several people do very well with a single testis too.
Hope I have been of some help. Let me know if you have further doubts.
Follow-up: Have had hernia. Right testicle close to body, feeling uncomfortable. Should I consider to remove it? 44 hours later
Yes you are right they did appear to give it a tug when I was 15 and it is not so uncomfortable now. I did wonder if I could stretch it but it is more sensitive than the left one. Neither are that large either and I wondered if I could do anything about that. I assume not? Should I try to adopt a more manly pose but it can be painful if I open my legs too wide. If I sit on hard restaurant seats it feels as if the testicle is very uncomfortable. I doubt I would have it removed. Just wish I could get it to sit lower

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 3 hours later
Hi again,
For whatever it is worth, see if you can get an ultrasound examination of your scrotum done to find out if there is indeed a correctable cause for your discomfort. The test is non-invasive, available practically everywhere, and once you know there is nothing seriously wrong, you can at least be re-assured on that point. Once in a while the test does pick up a minor inflammation of epididymis or testis in which case the right side could feel more sensitive than the left side.
What you said earlier we do advice routinely - wearing some kind of scrotal support like Boxer shorts, with padding if required, so that the testicles remain elevated, but at the same time are not constricted.
As to the pose - I guess on a trial and error basis you might be able to find the position which suits you best.
As I have said earlier, I have not ruled out surgery in helping you - I would keep it as a good last option if all else have failed. The relief obviously will be quite good if you are seriously bothered by your present condition.
Let me know what is happening, or if something turns up on the ultrasound scan report.