Have had heart burn with lot of chest pressure, do smoke and drink. Suggest?

I have had heart burn for some time, i do smoke and drink, but for the last month or so, i have heartburn symptoms with a lot of chest pressure, what does this mean?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 37 minutes later

It means to say that your gastritis or heartburn is worsening. You need to take precautions now to prevent deleterious effects in the future.

The gastritis may worsen and lead to stomach or gastric erosions that would subsequently lead to ulceration and perforation. It simply means the stomach acid can tear up the stomach itself.

Please take the necessary precautions now. You may want to consider taking proton pump inhibitors or PPIs group of drugs to make the healing and the symptoms of heartburn better.

Reduce your intake of drinks and smoking as well.

Get well soon. Let me know if you have more concerns.