Have had giardia and salmonella. Diagnosed with IBS. On medication. How to get relief?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi. I am a 24 y/o female. I have had giardia and salmonella. Ever since my early teen years I've dealt with IBS. I was officially diagnosed with post infectious IBS last year. I have very loose, foul smelling stool daily. It's very rare to have a normal bowel movement. I also have a lot of gas in my stomach. Ive taken Probiotics, xifaxin, taken librax, fiber,eaten yogurt and done every
thing i could think of. Nothing helps.I've seen many specialists and have had many tests. I have no known food allergies. This has impacted my life in a very negative way. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 16 hours later

The information provided is suggestive of IBS

Here are few tips which you can follow, but my primary recommendation will be management of stress and reassurance

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Take probiotics for a minimum of six to eight weeks twice a day

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead