Have had genital herpes. Getting redness on penis shaft. On valtrex. What is going on?

Question
I have had genital herpes for about a year and a half and ever since then i have been getting red in the areas where i had the outbreaks almost constantly. It is on the shaft of my penis were the skin roles up when flaccid so you can't see it unless you pull it back. I take valtrex everyday and this redness doesnt usually hurt. Sometimes i put triamcinolone cream on it and it goes away but it comes back. Is this because of the herpes or something else that i also have going on? What can I do for this?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

The rash you have mentioned is not herpes because herpes rash are very much painful. The rash can be due to several reasons including infection and allergies.

The infections include fungal or bacterial infections. But if you had recently unprotected sex then such type of rash developing on penis can be due to syphilis. Similar rash can also develop on palms and soles in syphilis. It is recommended to have a visit to the doctor as you need to be evaluated for infections especially for syphilis in case of unprotected test.

A test known as VRDL is performed which if comes back positive may require additional scanning by ELISA. However the condition is treatable with antibiotics if early diagnosed and promptly treated.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Follow-up: Have had genital herpes. Getting redness on penis shaft. On valtrex. What is going on? 19 hours later
I realize i notice that this redness come out more when the area is moist from sweat. Would this be from the herpes or bacteria because i have heard sweat can cause outbreaks.Also, I haven't had unprotected sex in atleast a year and a half so could this be syphilis?
When i masterbate it also gets red and it cracks especially were the skin rolls back from the head of the penis.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Its unlikely that you do have herpes since outbreaks are rarely controlled by sweats. On the other hand, bacterial infections can become a lot worse with sweat. The rest of your symptoms also point towards a bacterial infection. Its also unlikely that you have syphilis.
Hope this helps
regards

Follow-up: Have had genital herpes. Getting redness on penis shaft. On valtrex. What is going on? 45 hours later
How do i get rid of this bacteria?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for writing back.

The bacteria can be eliminated by the use of antibiotics therefore it is recommended to visit a doctor for the prescription of the appropriate antibiotic. An exam will also help us rule out the possibility of a fungal infection. If this is the case, you may need anti-fungal medication.

Thanks