Have had gastro problem. Diagnosed with IBS. Got blood tests done. Any liver problem?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi I have had gastro problems for just over a year, started as left lower quadrant colicky pain. GP diagnosis of IBS. After a few months the pain was also felt in the upper right quadrant and though to right shoulder blade and mid back. I have had several blood tests, US, CT and MRI all of which suggest there are no problems with the liver. I have copies of the MRI. Today the pain in the liver area is unrelenting and my right knee has some minor swelling and pain. Pain also moves around joints. My GP ran a recent blood test for Lupus and RA and a liver panel. XXXXXXX was negative, liver ALT was 29 (17 - 63), GGT 21 (9 - 40), ALP 62 (32-91), total protein 64 (60-80), Albumin 42 (35-50), although this is reduced from my usual 50. Globulin was low at 22 (23-35), bilirubin was 13 (7-35) higher than my usual 8. RBC was also slightly low at 4.45 (4.5-5.5). Grateful for your thoughts whether or not I may have liver problems or indeed cirrhosis. Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 minutes later
Hi
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

As you can see from the test report, all the values are within the normal range.
And also your US, CT and MRI , all showed a normal liver.
So it is unlikely that you have cirrhosis or any other liver problem.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have had gastro problem. Diagnosed with IBS. Got blood tests done. Any liver problem? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Just a couple of follow up questions if I may. Is it possible to have cirrhosis and still have normal in range liver function tests and could cirrhosis be missed on CT or MRI. Or in other words, how easy is it to detect Cirrhosis with these methods?

I understand that Albumin is a good indicator of overall health, for the past 10 years or so my level has been steady at 50 iu/l. What is the significance of the level dropping by 8 to now read 42? Can the reading be different at different times of the day? Should I be concerned with the recent drop?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 49 minutes later
It is possible to have cirrhosis with a normal liver enzymes. But the albumin level will be lower than normal range ( in your case it is within normal range). CT/MRI/US will not miss cirrhosis. They will show a shrunken liver with nodular surface.

Since the albumin is within the normal range, there is no need to worry. The albumin level is influenced by diet, liver disease, kidney disease and gut issues.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini