Have had gastric episode. Chest very warm after eating. What could be the cause?

Question
I have been on a healthy diet since three weeks ago very little fat and vey little acid since i had a gastric episode. Today i ate ground beef, vegetables with rice and a few. Hoursnafter my chest started feeling very warm its been about seven hours now and i still feel my chest very warm. Is it the fat that i ate through the ground beef that is causing thator could it he something else.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 24 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Yes sir, it could most probably be the heavy meal that you had, more than the fat in the meal. I would avoid this in the future. Have small meals, more number of times a day instead of having less frequent heavy meals.

Now, let me help you by listing all the possible conditions that could result in a similar presentation that you are experiencing:
-Acid reflux disease
-Anxiety
-Lower esophageal problems
-Inflammation of the chest wall
-Adrenal disease
-Thyroid problems
-Heart abnormalities (especially acute coronary syndrome, which precedes a myocardial infarction [i.e. a heart attack])

As you are young and at your age, there should be no concern of any heart abnormalities; you do have a history of gastric problems. An acid reflux due to problems with the lower esophageal sphincter could be the most likely cause, and thus you should visit a doctor to help with the diagnosis and accordingly treat you.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have had gastric episode. Chest very warm after eating. What could be the cause? 6 minutes later
The meal was not that big. I believe it was about two to three spoonfuls of ground beef and the reast was about three spoonfuls of rice and a lot of veggies. I did have a gastric episode a few weeka back and is why i am on my diet and i have had anxiety but it is not a buening sensation i feel just heat.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello once again sir.

Thank you for that information, it really helped.

If your meal was not large, it could purely be the contents of the meal. Patients having trouble with acid reflux (if it is an acid reflux) are advised against many food items, especially fatty food.

This could have caused the trouble. As you have not mentioned any medications other than the vitamin supplements, your symptoms could be prolonged due to the lack of any medications to treat the acid reflux.

I would advise you to visit a doctor and get examined to confirm the diagnosis of an acid reflux. Once this is done, the doctor will place you on very mild, yet effective medications, to control your acid reflux.

In the meantime, you could try medications like lansoprazole which will surely control your symptoms, if it is indeed an acid reflux.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have had gastric episode. Chest very warm after eating. What could be the cause? 5 minutes later
Do you think tums would help? If it is acid, what exercises can i do to uelp with it?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Hi.

I believe Tums should contribute in at least reducing your symptoms.

If it is acid reflux, mild exercise would help. But the main thing that would help is a diet.

You could have more of:
-Oatmeal
-Aloe vera
-Ginger
-Salads (but tomatoes and onions to be avoided); also no salad dressings or cheese
-Fennel
-Water melons (other melons as well)
-Bananas
-Poultry (not fried)
-Seafood (not fried)
-Green leafy vegetables (eg. parsley, celery, etc.)

Avoid:
-Chocolates
-Alcohol
-Pop corn
-Oily/fried/fatty food
-Heavy meals
-Spicy food
-Red meat
-Tea or coffee
-Caffeine or sugar containing drinks
-Carbonated drinks
-Dairy products

These are a few of the food items to avoid or are safe to have. Please visit a nutritionist who will provide a more elaborate list.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have had gastric episode. Chest very warm after eating. What could be the cause? 4 minutes later
I have eaten red meat. Since the episode and i was fine it seems it was the ground beef that was the issue. I will follow your instructions. I

Hi.

It appears the ground beef was the problem. But it could also depend on the technique employed to prepare the food. Like preparing it with more oil, or the ground beef prepared with extra fat (which is usually the case with ground meat). These kind of things can cause the irritation.

All techniques of preparing meat (whole meat, steak pieces) are acceptable like grilled, baked, steamed, etc; except fried.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion. Wishing you loads of luck.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have had gastric episode. Chest very warm after eating. What could be the cause? 3 minutes later
The heat is subziding on its own. Could the heat be because my body is recovering from the gastric episode or isbit because of the diet i am in and my body is just not used to that amount of fat.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello.

Before providing an explanation for your questions, I would just like to add by saying that red meat as a whole is considered very 'heaty'. By this I mean, a lot of heat is produced by the body in an attempt to try to digest red meat (beef, mutton, etc.), when compared to poultry or seafood.

Many individuals experience boils a few hours after having red meat (especially beef). These boils subside themselves with time, once the XXXXXXX body temperature is normalized, and are usually termed 'heat boils'.

Now coming to your query, it is great to know that the heat is subsiding on its own. Both the options put forward by your are correct, and both could be considered as contributing factors.

Your heat could also be subsiding if you imply the above mentioned theory (in the first para of this answer), which also proves the heat to subside or normalize with time.

So, all the theories could be contributing factors in your case. Or it could be just one, but pin-pointing the exact cause will not be possible.

It is best to avoid fatty food for a while. Hope this helps. I am sure you will be fine in no time.

In the meantime, please consume sufficient amount of water which will help by neutralizing the acid, contribute by reducing the XXXXXXX temperature, as well as by promoting digestion which will remove the fat from your system quicker.

Wishing you the best.

I am wondering what kind of fruit juices i should be able to drink i have been avoiding many and all to not aggravatr the situation. Is cranberry juice and XXXXXXX juice. Ok?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Hey.

All citrus containing fruits will have to be avoided as these contain acid and can further aggravate your condition.

Fruits and their juices to be avoided. They are:
-Orange
-Lemon
-Grapefruit
-Cranberry
-Pineapple

Safe fruits and their juices:
-Apple
-Bananas
-Berries
-Melons
-Peaches
-Plums

I hope this helps my friend.

Best wishes.

It helps a lot thank you. Is cereal ok to eat with almond or soy milk?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 minutes later
Hey. I am glad I could help.

Cereal with almonds or soy milk should be fine. Oatmeal is also considered to be safe and good.

I hope you found my answers helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.