Have had fingering done. Should I be concerned about HIV?

Question
I was in a bar in Midtown Manhattan... dancing with a guy.. . He slipped a finger under my dress and into my vagina. Nothing too rough. Do I need to be concernrd about HIV?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: the risk is considered negligible Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The risk would be low. HIV is primarily transmitted via vaginal or anal intercourse, needle sharing, infected mother to child. There would only be risk if he had any cuts or abrasions on his fingers. This possibility is only in theory because there have never been any documented cases of persons contracting HIV in this way. If there were no open cuts on his hands then transmission is not possible. There was 4 levels of risk as it relates to HIV transmission and the risk of transmission via fingering is called negligible risk (this is defined as - there is a potential risk, abeit remote, of HIV transmission via negligible risk activities but there have never have been any confirmed cases of transmission from this way). If you are unsure about the presence of any open cuts, then you can consider a HIV screening test. The accuracy of the test would be greater if it is done after the window period is gone. The window period of a test is the time it takes for a test to be able to conclusively give an appropriate result. The window period for the HIV PCR DNA test is 2 to 3 weeks and the window period for the HIV elisa is 3 to 6 months. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions