Have had fibromyalgia and CFIDS. Diagnosed with MS. What treatment should be done?

Dec 2012

I'm a 57 yr old female with fibromyalgia and cfids, diagnosed 20 yrs ago. I just been diagnosed with MS. Acording to my swiss cheese appearing mri and lumbar puncture results, I' ve had it for some time, My 60 something neurologist says my results are weird and he wants a second oponion before proceeding. Problem being this will take another 3 months and I've already been having numerous problems for 6 months. My questions are; what kind of ms am I likely to have? Which disease should the focus of treatment be on? What can I do in the meantime?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

You need to know that MS takes several forms, with new symptoms occurring either in discrete attacks (relapsing forms) or slowly accumulating over time (progressive forms). From your description you are most likely having a progressive form. Given your past medical history the origin of your MS is most likely a combination infectious ( likely viral) and environmental factors (MS is more common in people who live farther from the equator, although many exceptions exist. Decreased sunlight exposure has been linked with a higher risk of MS. Decreased vitamin D production and intake has been the main biological mechanism used to explain the higher risk among those less exposed to sun-your sun allergy tells me you avoid sun most of the time, infectious factors, severe stress, occupational exposures to toxins etc). If you had any family history of MS especially very close siblings then it is possible that your cause is also genetic.
Focus of treatment will be more of general measures and symptomatic managmen.
My humble opinion is that all your present and past diseases conditions should be treated as MS is a complex disease that has not really be fully understood by the medical community.
Your treatment should include vitamin D and calcium supplements, BP, treatment of your fibromyalgia and CFIDS, Identify possible causes of your IBS ( because if infectious will need to treated as it can lead to relapse or attacks or bouts of MS), avoid any toxic substances etc. Your doctor will be better placed to review all your illnesses and give treatment accordingly.
Not that there is no known CURE for MS and mostly general measures and symptomatic treatment are used to manage the attacks.

In my humble opinion you are probably having secondary progressive. Although there is no known cure for multiple sclerosis, several therapies have proven helpful. The primary aims of therapy are returning function after an attack, preventing new attacks, and preventing disability.
What you can do now is take the supplements I have mentioned and practice general measures of preventing attacks. Do not take any medications not prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Have had fibromyalgia and CFIDS. Diagnosed with MS. What treatment should be done? 19 hours later
What are the best dietary suggestions in this situation? Anti inflamatory diet? No family history of ms or other similar diseases but strong genetic issues with bi-polar, depression, anxiety/panic, ADHD, alchololism, drug addiction, luckily I haven't had issues with these other than situational, ie depressed because I'm sick of being sick or stessed, frustrated, and angry sometimes excessively because of everything out of my control and the lack of understanding (my experience) of the medical community regarding how much this is/has impacted the quality of my life.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later

To say that there is a specific diet for MS will be going out of phase. There are no particular foods that are known to cause attacks of MS but you may just notice any food that can cause any GI disturbance as MS can also affect the GIT and cause bouts/attacks. But you will require supplements of vitamin D, Calcium, B-complex and other vitamins, control your blood pressure (target ranges). If you have attacks of pain then i will suggest steroidal (e.g prednisone) or non-steroidal antiinflammatory (e.g diclofenac) medications. I will also suggest you be placed on antidepressants and anxiolytics and also do a psychiatrist consultation.
What will be important for you to do now is improve your quality of life and get to ease your mind and think positive about your health status. The more you think about it and worry about it, the more it gets to disturb you.

I wish you the best.
Follow-up: Have had fibromyalgia and CFIDS. Diagnosed with MS. What treatment should be done? 2 days later
Thanks for all the info. One more thing. What can I do/take for the extreme fatigue. Please don't say excersise. I'm not even close to being able to do that. I need to get to the point where I have the energy to even think about any activity, which I know will help but have to get beyond where even taking a shower is totally exhausting.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

You are welcome and I was glad to help. Getting out of a fatigued state is a complex situation on its own as many things could be responsible for the fatigue. Anemia, low diet especially low in sugar, stress, a systemic illness, mineral and vitamin deficiency etc. If any of those diseases are present, they have to be treated.
You will need some antifatigue medications which constitute mainly of multivitamins, energy drinks e.g dynamogen, stimol, nuravit etc. They are mostly over the counter medications that you can ask your pharmacist for any one available around you.
You need to eat well, sleep well, stress less, drink fresh water early in the morning before you start your daily activities, eat much fruits and get your doctor to treat any diseases condition that can be responsible for your fatigue (MS inclusive).

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah