Have had enlarged prostrate. Having severe pain while urinating. Taking antibiotic. Concerned

Dear Sir I have severe pain when I urinate and have been to the doctor who gave
me antibiotics but my blood samples and urine samples were clear and he has give me
pain killers but to no avail the pain is severe that I hate the thought of going to the
toilet I was diogonised wit a enlarged prostrate about 5 years ago, I am a man of 70 years
of age, ny E- mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Dear sir,

Kindly do urine culture and sensitivity and antibiotics need to be given based on sensitivity report ( if not done already).
Sometimes even if the urine culture is sterile, antibiotics may be needed based on clinical symptoms.
If the infection is inside the prostate antibiotics need to be given for 1 to 3 months.
If the urine flow is less than for your age and residual urine is high, TURP ( endoscopic surgery for prostate) may be necessary and it will also eradicate the prostate infection as well.
Kindly discuss with your doc and till then pls do the following---
1.     Take enough water and lime juice.
2.     Potassium citrate mixed in water.
3.     Phenazopyridine (called AZO in the US) can ease out the pain.

Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any----