Have had elevated WBC and have anxiety. Had blood smear test and immature cells can be seen?

Oncologist
Question
hi I have had an elevated wbc since December and have anxiety my wbc has been 16.9 then 10.6, 12.4, 11.4, 10.5, and now 12.2 I have been referred to a blood doctor and i'm going crazy thinking about leukemia they did a smear and seen a few immature cells. by the way all other levels have been in normal ranges
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I completely understand your anxiety. It looks like your white blood count is mildly elevated. What is very important is to study your blood cells under the microscope to a value wait if there is any abnormal appearance of the cells. With every complete blood count the laboratory will provide a differential. The differential tells us how many specific types of white blood cells are present. If you have the complete blood count results available that might be helpful if you could provide that additional information.

If you're feeling well I would follow up with the blood specialist as you have been referred. This doctor will carefully review your laboratory results. If additional studies need to be done these might be requested from the laboratory. This might include specific tests looking for abnormal white blood cells or chromosomal changes.

One additional test it sometimes is considered is a good hands now and have been referred to the appropriate specialist.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Have had elevated WBC and have anxiety. Had blood smear test and immature cells can be seen? 3 hours later
All my differentials are in normal ranges my doctor Dont know what to make of it she said it does not sound like leukemia based on all my differentials nothing is out of range besides my WBC count

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again.

Thanks again for sending your question. I agree this does not sound like acute leukemia. I don't Believe you are in any immediate danger. I would encourage you to discuss this in detail with the blood specialist you will be seeing. Additional blood testing will help you and your doctors get to the bottom of this.

Please let me know if you have any additional specific questions. Otherwise I would be happy to discuss this further with you after you visit with the blood specialist.

Dr. Galamaga