Have had dry cough with throat closing up. Pins and needles sensation, cold and sore legs

Sep 2013

I have had a dry cough with now has progressed into when I cough my throat feels like it is closing up and I gasp for breath. Now I get this feeling of pins and needles sensation followed by a cold feeling from my waist up. My legs feel heavy and tired/sore. I having these attacks quite a lot during the day now whereas it was only early morning and in the evening. Please help.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 hours later

You are a patient of high blood pressure but from how many days or months, it is not mentioned in medical history.

One cause of cough may be associates with this medicine.
Variety of irritant produces cough as,

External causes are-smoke,
-foreign bodies. XXXXXXX causes are -Upper airways secretion, due to post nasal drip ( cough may be persistent).
When cough persistent ,it causes inflammation(viral or bacterial),feeling of pins & needles sensations are due to infection in throat, constriction, infiltration, compression of airways,gasp for breath is due to this.

If cough is more than 3 weeks time may be due to, postnasal drip, asthma, gastroesophageal reflux,
eosinophilic bronchitis, tuberculosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD), cancer (lungs), Blood pressure drug ( ace inhibitors, if you are taking for your Blood pressure).

If cough is less than 3 weeks time may be due to
common cold,
bacterial sinusitis,
pulmonary embolism,
congestive heart failure( consider this point as due to blood pressure drugs).

Feeling of cold sensation above waist are suggestive of involvement of whole chest.
Heavy legs,tiredness and pain in legs are due to disease in lungs, due to excessive cough there is sweating and due to sweating, fatigue and pain all over body.

Anemia may be one cause.

Since cough is there and so also tension. Anxiety is another cause of tiredness and leg pains.
So please consult a physician and get in blood, X rays ,MRI.

Physical examination in this case is very important as Ronchi and wheezing will reveal many things.

Hope I have answered your query.

If further any question I will be happy to help.

Best wishes for recovery.