Have had diarrhea, gas, stomach pain and intermittent low back pain. Suggest?

Came back from trip to Israel. I have had severe diarrhea and gas, stomach pain and intermittent low back pain for 3 days. I have not thrown up. I have not experienced any neck pain. I have never experienced this before.
I am a very healthy and physically fit 57 year old who primarily eats vegetarian .I only drank bottled water.Had some small amounts of tuna and chicken.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral, parasitic or bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the query.

I suspect that you may have an infected colitis. This can be caused by viruses, parasites or bacteria which disturb the normal balance of microbes within e gastrointestinal tract. Often times your own immune system will be able to fight this and restore balance but occasionally antibiotics may be needed.

If you are continuing to have symptoms I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary doctor to see if antibiotics would be recommended. Also, it is critical that you maintain good fluid hydration as you can become quickly dehydrated with this type of illness. Water and electrolyte, as well as glucose containing beverages are beneficial. I would not recommenf anti-diarrheal meds until you speak to your doctor as there may be some toxins associated with the diarrhea and you would want to eliminate these via bowel movement.

Thanks again for your query,

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: Have had diarrhea, gas, stomach pain and intermittent low back pain. Suggest? 25 minutes later
Thank you. I am trying to stay hydrated but eating results in stomach pain and burping and another bout of liquid diarrhea within hours . I find a heating pad on my low back helps.
Is it more likely that it is food poisoning or hepatitis? Any natural supplements helpful?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See doctor

Detailed Answer:
I would not recommend any supplements. I really think you should see your doctor. He can perform tests to determine the exact cause of the illness and help you feel better.

Stick to liquid hydration initially and advance your diet as you feel better.

Again, please see your doctor.

Dr Galamaga