Have had diarrhea and noticed big fish oil looking capsule floating. What can it be?

I have had diarrhea all weekend and have noticed a couple of big fish oil looking capsules that float around. I have not eaten anything that looks like that or is shaped like that.????? What can they be?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later

The the fish oil looking capsules floating in feces are undigested fat globules. If you did not have it before, it's most likely to be due to undigested/partially digested food due to the diarrhea you had. Eating indigestible fat like olestra, excessive alcohol consumption may produce such a condition.

But if it is from quite some time, it might have caused due to digestive enzyme deficiency or poor absorption of nutrients. There are some autoimmune conditions causing it. Supplementing proper digestive enzyme (Specially Pancreatic enzyme & bile) will mostly help.

I would recommend a visit to gastroenterologist and further evaluation if the symptoms have been for quite sometime. If the symptoms have been of short duration, you can wait and observe for a few days.

I hope I have answered your query to satisfy you. In case you have another, I will be happy to help you.

Thank you.