Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on its own?

Jul 2016

I have had a lip cyst removed from my lower left lip inside of my mouth. It has been about 6 weeks now, it has healed nicely, however I do not have symmetry between my lips, their is a ridge where the cyst was removed. will this heal on its own or do I need surgery to repair? I am quite
Concerned about it. The surgeon said it takes 2
Months to fully heal and will see me again in a couple of weeks.
I am concerned that my lip will never be the same and uneven.
I have uploaded a picture so you can see the ridge, the area is still lumpy on the inside lip, please advise what my next step should be?
The pic shows the defect on the right hand side.
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later

I understand you are concerned with cosmetic problem of your lip as revealed in the picture. I shall and provide you with some helpful information.

The mucous membrane of the mouth and lips is highly vascular compared to mucous membrane of the other organs. Therefore the healing of any wound in mouth and lips is excellent. Due to same reasons it also common to see lip swelling after injury or a procedure. Such swellings gradually fade with time.

The process of healing and reduction in swelling can take up to 6 weeks. Beyond 6 weeks I am confident that the scar tissue will have normal appearance. It would be very difficult to identify the scar after complete healing. So you need not be worried now.

Please follow the instructions given by your doctor and follow-up with the surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. In case you have any query, please do not hesitate to write to me.

Follow-up: Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on its own? 6 hours later
Have you seen the picture doctor, how long do you think before the scar tissue heals and the lip returns back to normal/
My main concern is not the scar tissue as this has healed nicely it is the lip area that looks deformed and is not symmetrical to the other side. How long before my lips are the same size and even on both sides.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 43 minutes later

I have seen the picture that you have loaded. It still shows edema of the lower lip which is normal after any surgery. I am 100% confident that your lower lip will be as good as upper one within 6 weeks time. So do not worry at all.

Hope this is reassuring. I will be glad to assist you if you have other concerns.
If all your concerns are addressed, please close this discussion.

With kind regards
Dr Patil
Follow-up: Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on its own? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,
So you are saying in another 6 weeks in addition to the 6 that have passed I will make a full recovery.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
As the cyst which was removed creates a dead space at the site of cyst which heals from below and so it takes a long time.There is no short cut or anything that you can do to fasten the recovery. Hope this will clear your doubts.With Regards.