Have had cough and cold and having pain in rib cage. Suggest?

I've had a cough cold for about a month now. For the past two days when I cough I experience pain on the left side of my rib cage. Any clues
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation for rib cage,lung involvement.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in rib cage increased with coughing indicates attention. It can be due to various causes. The possibilities I think in your case seem to be
- A long standing viral infection with excessive coughing due to over exertion of chest muscles.
-Inflammation of the costochondral junctions of ribs which hurts on coughing
- Allergic cough leading to Eosinophillia, dry cough & chest pain (like you have) increased after coughing.
-Involvement of lung tissue, the pleural covering due to infections. May turn out to be Pneumonia, bronchitis, Tuberculosis.
The above possibilities ask for investigations like Complete Blood count, x XXXXXXX chest, some times sputum test & consultation a chest physician. He will examine & evaluate your investigation reports & advice you accordingly.
Till then, drink plenty of water (preferably hot). Steam inhalation will give some relief.
I hope the answer satisfies you. I will be happy to assist in case you need further information.
Thank you.