Have had cough. Now ribs pain under breast. What could it be?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX and i have had this cough for two in a half weeks and this just started last night but when i cough i have this pain in my left side of my ribs under my breast what could it be
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later
Hello Tanya;

The pain in left side of ribs you have while coughing could be due to a strained costochondral muscle or a stress fracture in rib (a hair line fracture). Presently it is important to reduce the cough as once the cough is reduced the pain will reduce.

You can take a over the counter cough syrup like Benadryl. For pain in the ribs you can take a over the counter pain killer like Motrin (if you are not allergic or asthmatic).

Allergic cough can last for few weeks any cough more than 2 weeks; however to rule out other cause I suggest you to consult a doctor, he may advise you investigations like CBC, ESR, X-ray of chest to find the cause of cough. He will then advise you treatment according to the diagnosis.

Hope you find this answer helpful. In case of any query please write back and I shall help you. Please accept this answer if you have no further query.

Take care and Regards