Have had cough. After antibiotic more dry. Have whooping sound of intake of breath. Suggest?

I have a cough, have had it for 3 weeks. It started off quite productive but after a week of antibiotics it is more dry, but more "fitful" and I can't help it, but I seem to get a dramatic whooping sound of intake of breath between or at end of coughing bouts, this can be quite sore! What is going on?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query,

after three weeks of productive cough, the respiratory tract should have had severe inflammation and resultant mucus production. The fact that the cough has become more dry indicates that the antibiotics have been working and you are in the healing phase.

The sound after you cough is just due to violent clearing of airways due to accumulated mucus.

You should continue your antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor, take some pain killers such as paracetamol and take in much water daily. Symptoms should improve within a couple of days.

If the cough is associated with night fevers and sweating, weight loss and blood in the expectoration, you will need to be screen for TB.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards