Have had constant vaginal bleeding, pain during and after sex. Worried for cancer

Mar 2013
I have had constant vaginal bleeding for 4months + now, All my Doctor keeps doing is switching my birth control. I have pain during and after sex, bleeding after sex, green/blood tinged discharge. I have abdominal pain constantly, low ache in my belly. I have had an hvs done which was clear, my fear is that there is some sort of cancer of the vagina/womb and my doctor isnt taking me seriously. Please help!!
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Firstly, constant on and off vaginal bleeding can be explained by your erratic use of birth control.
The Mirena, the contraceptive patch and oral contraceptive pills, all have irregular bleeding as a side effect, even on prolonged and consistent use, and more so, when they are so rapidly alternated.
Firstly, I would advise you to go without any form of hormonal contraception for ATLEAST 2 - 3 months, so that your XXXXXXX menstrual cycle stabilises.
Try and use condoms as an alternative for the short term.
Secondly pain and bleeding after sex, as well as greenish bloody discharge and pain are not effects of the hormonal birth control.
You could be having cervical polyp or a cervical growth or endometrial polyps, which bleed during and after sex.
Painful sex could be due to endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease or ovarian cysts.
The vaginal discharge and lower pelvic pain almost certainly are due to pelvic inflammatory disease.
As a high vaginal swab was clear, you could be having Trichomonal or fungal infections, which need specific tests, apart from testing from bacterial infections.
It could be endometritis too ( infection and inflammation of the lining of the uterus ) which would not be picked up on a HVS.

Yes, rarely cervical cancer presents with the above cluster of symptoms.
Pointers for you

Be off hormonal birth control for awhile.
Insist on a detailed gynaecological check up, including per abdomen, per speculum
and per vaginal examination.
Have a complete abdominal ultrasound and a pelvic trans vaginal ultrasound.
Also, get yourself tested for Trichomonas, bacterial vaginosis , Chlamydia and Fungal infections.
Please have a Pap Smear done , which will out you at ease regarding cervical cancer.

These are mandatory steps since you are facing serious problems.

Take care, feel free to write back for clarifications , and get well.