Have had conjunctivitis. Having sore throat, high temperature and uncontrollable shaking. What should I do?

Husband has been complaining of sore throat and has had has uncontrollable shaking, high temp...what should I do?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
It appears that your husband could be having possible Viral fever which is supported by headache, feeling feverish, sore throat, conjunctivitis, etc.

Fever is when temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more usually. Normal body temperature is usually 98.6 degree farenheit.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated. He can start taking acetaminophen round the clock- every six hourly.
Cold sponging will help in lowering of the temperature.
He can do a steam inhalation for relief. Keep him well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

He can take cough suppressants if the cough is not subsiding. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops or the fever does not subside then he may need to consult with your Doctor.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.