Have had compartment syndrome. What to be done to look the leg normal. Should I visit an orthopedic doctor or a plastic surgeon?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I broke my tibia and fibula several years ago. During that injury I had compartment syndrome which they performed a fasciotomy to relieve the pressure. I've had no real problems with pain or anything like that but there is a muscle bulge that comes out of the front of my leg. It has given the leg a different shape and the bulge moves as I flex my leg. I wanted to know if there was anything that can be done to make the leg look "normal" like my other leg. Is this something I need to visit an orthopedic doctor or a plastic surgeon? I also still have a metal rod in my leg that they put in from broken bones injury.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The muscle bulge that comes out in front of the leg is the herniated mass of tibialis anterior muscle from the torn fascia. This fascia needs to be repaired to get back the original shape of your leg. Even if it is left like that it is not going to produce any physical symptoms apart from the bulge.
You need to consult your orthopedic surgeon who after an examination will confirm the diagnosis and will guide you regarding the surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.