Have had cold and shingles. Have trouble in hearing from one ear. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
I have had a cold and shingles. Now i am having trouble hearing ourt of one ear and have noticed while on a phone in my left they sound like a robot and my right ear sounds fine? Please advise
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your ear drums examined and get the following hearing tests done:
a. Pure Tone Audiometry (PTA)
b. Tympanometry (Impedance Audiometry)
c. Speech Discrimination Score (SDS) if there is a sensorineural or mixed deafness.

2. If you have only a Conductive Hearing Loss (CHL) then routine treatment for a cold will settle the condition.

3. If you have a Sensorineural Hearing Loss ( SSHNL) due to the shingles with distorted hearing, then the treatment window is only 4-6 weeks. SSHNL is described as a hearing loss greater than 20-30 dB (Sensorineural) in 3 contigious speech frequencies. Shingles is usually manifest in times of great stress such as cancer, chemotherapy as in your case. It is a reactivation of a dormant Chickenpox virus from a childhood infection.

4. You may follow up here with your test results for further treatment options.