Have had cold and runny nose. Noticed black patch at the back of throat. Reason?

ENT Specialist
hi I have had a cold like virus for a week I have had a manic month and have been a little run down due to so getting a cold was not unexpected however I have noticed a black patch at the back of my throat is this normal my only symptoms are muscus in the back of my throat and a runny nose otherwise I feel fine
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is difficult to comment without an image of the black patch at the back of your throat.

2. Hence it is advisable to get an direct examination done.

3. Possible causes for the black patch are a shadow effect, dried blood clot, a foreign body, melanotic discoloration, damaged / necrotic tissue or a fungal infection and so on.

4. A throat swab should be sent for culture and sensitivity.

5. Since you do not have any other symptoms, I would not expect any cause for worry.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.