Have had cold and cough. Noticed red spots on palms. How to diagnose my symptoms?

I have had a cold and a cough for about 2 weeks and all of sudden last night I noticed red spots on the palms of my hands. My joints are hurting and tonight the spots are going up my arms. I went to a doctor today and he gave me a prescription for cough syrup but said he didn't know what the spots were and didn't seem interested.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
From the description it seems, either you are having vasculitis lesions or erythema nodosum lesions
In vasculitis you may get palpable (elevated) or non palpable( flat) reddish purple lesions.
In erythema nodosum the lesions are reddish purple elevated slightly tender to touch lesions.
In both the conditions joint aches may be found.

As both the lesions have underlying infection as its main cause so apart from a cough syrup you might need a course of oral antibiotics. There is nothing to worry as the lesions will subside once the infection is treated.
For symptomatic relief of these lesions, you may apply a mild topical steroid lotion along with calamine lotion over these red lesions. If painful, take antiinflammatory analgesic like Brufen.

I would advise you to visit a physician or XXXXXXX medicine specialist nearby so that underlying infection can be investigated, diagnosed and treated. Simply taking a cough syrup would not help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.