Have had cold and blocked nose. Feeling of blood running down throat from nose. What is going on?

ENT Specialist
i recently had a cold and blocked nose, ive just gotten over it and i woke up this morning with the feeling of blood running down my throat from my nose
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is common for a slight blood stained nasal secretions to occur during or just after a severe cold and blocked nose.

2. As t long as the quantity is minimal, there is no cause for worry.

3. Sometimes anti allergic, cold medication and decongestants dry up the nose, leading to easy bleeding from the nose.

4. You should get an opinion from a doctor who can examine the nose and throat. Blood tests to check clotting may be advised. A nasal endoscopy can settle the issue. Saline Nasal drops may help.

5. You may start Vitamin C tablets, especially if you smoke. Avoid steam inhalation and hot liquids at present.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.