Have had cold. Started feeling congested and having stomach pain. What could this be?

Jun 2015

I've had a cold for about a week. I was getting better, then today I woke up and am more congested. I also have stomach pain - not nausea, it feels like I've been punched in the gut. It aches under my sternum, and the sides of my stomach. What could this be?
(no fever, very mild cough, no nausea).

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

The persistence of cold for more than a week indicate that the causative agent is not eradicated completely.
Though symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of antihistamines, it will be better to consult your General Physician and get a proper examination done to find out the exact cause.
Investigations like complete blood count & X XXXXXXX of chest will be needed to make a better diagnosis.

Pain in sides of stomach, under the sternum region can be due to:
1. Acid reflux
2. Gall bladder pathology
3. Peptic ulcer

Investigation like Ultrasound scan of the abdomen will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Wishing you a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.