Have had circular rashes on thigh. Any ideas?

I have a perfect though broken circle on my right thigh (3 inches in diameter) which appeared two days ago and seems to be disappearing now. No rash inside or outside, no XXXXXXX in the center. No other symptoms. Feeling great other than this strange XXXXXXX Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help.

While this might represent something as simple as "ringworm". Based on the picture that you sent, this would most likely fit. It is technically known as "tinea" and is a yeast infection.

Treatment would begin in most cases with topical clotrimazole cream which you can buy over the counter and apply to the area 2-3 times per day. If it does not clear in a couple of days, then contact your doctor to be seen.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Have had circular rashes on thigh. Any ideas? 20 hours later
seems to be disappearing on it's own - much fainter this morning - not necessary to do anything more if it goes away on its own, right?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 35 hours later
That is correct. I would not worry about it. The ONLY thing that might be of concern is if there was even the slightest chance that this was the site of a tick bite. While this did NOT look like the "target lesion" sometimes seen with Lyme disease, it would be a consideration if you have been exposed to the outdoors / ticks.

Good luck.