Have had cinnamon. Can cinnamon kill your liver?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I just read that cinnamon can kill your liver- this is scaring me , i have a craving for cinnamon today i mixed about 2.5 tablespoons of cinnamon in my XXXXXXX sauce and ate it . I did that yesterday too.
did i just destroy my liver?
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your liver is fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Cinnamon itself is not XXXXXXX for the liver in reasonable dosages. However some cinnamon contain coumarin which is XXXXXXX for the liver indeed. More XXXXXXX is cinnamon from china (Cinnamomum cassia) as it contains more coumarin. Cinnamon from Ceylon (Cinnamomum verum) contains less coumarin.
Generally it is safe to eat cinnamon once a weak and not often.

Now,you have eaten cinnamon two days in a row. You may be sure that your live is fine. To destroy your liver you need to eat lots of cumarin and have it regularly for some time. Otherwise, even if some liver cells get destroyed, new liver cells replace them. It is because the liver has great ability to regenerate. One third of the liver is enough for proper function. That is why, liver transplantation or liver removal surgery is possible.

So in conclusion, do not worry. Your liver is fine. Just do not eat cinnamon more often than once in a week.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.