Have had chronic diarrhoea. Having pain under ribcage and belly button. Is this related to spleen?

Jan 2013

I have had chronic diarrhea for about a year now. A common thing is a dull ache under my ribcage on left side long with dull ache directly under that kind of even with belly button. Progressively more frequent without any "normal" stools in the last few months. Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy on Friday with no obvious abnormalities. My cousins and aunts on my maternal side have all had their spleens removed (not my mother to sister though). Could the frequent diarrhea, consistent dull achiness have anything to do with the spleen?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 24 minutes later

1) You are most likely suffering from acute viral gastroenteritis. Presence of frequent stool with small amount and dull ache indicate acute bacterial gastroenteritis.

2) Kindly answer the following details:
a) Presence/ absence of fever
b) type of abdominal pain whether spasmodic/ burning type
c) Nausea/ vomiting present or absent.
d) Have you taken antibiotic treatment?

3) As enlargement of spleen can not cause diarrhea, but presence of gastroenteritis may cause enlargement of spleen due to persistence of infection. Spleen gets enlarged as it tries to clear the infection.

4) You should go for treatment with antibiotic, probiotics, anti- spasmodic.

5) You should also consult physician.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

DR. Mayank Bhargava