Have had chest pain and a sore shoulder. EKG and blood test fine. Is it due to anxiety?

Hi. Recently i have had chest pain and a sore left shoulder. Have had 2 EKG tests a stress echo and blood work and chest x XXXXXXX all perfect. Dr thinks its anxiety as I am going through a divorce have two small childre. A new job and school full time. I just woke up to my entire left arm tingling with pins and needles also in my neck. In a panic that it is my heart as I still have some chest discomfort. Can anxiety cause this?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 59 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Your investigations like EKG test, stress test, echo, blood work and chest x XXXXXXX are normal. You have symptoms like stressfull life, panic, chest and shoulder discomfort. In such case anxiety is one of the most probable diagnosis and YES, anxiety can lead to such symptoms.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Let me know if you have these symptoms.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have had chest pain and a sore shoulder. EKG and blood test fine. Is it due to anxiety? 5 hours later
Yes I do have excessive worry about my health. It's to the point it is the only thing I can think about. I just wonder if I should have further heart tests done or not. I feel like my left shoulder pain is constant. I started on lexapro last night.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Anxiety can cause shoulder pain due to muscle spasm like we get headache during tension due to spasm of forehead muscle.

In my view, avoid getting yourself investigated at-least, till your anxiety and worry under control.

Lexapro contain escitalopram. It is a good medicine for anxiety. It will show best effect in 3-4 week. So, take it regularly. Also do some aerobic exercise (brisk walk/jogging) daily.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.