Have had chest pain. X-ray normal. Have dry cough and do smoking. Suggest?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
I am a 29 year old former smoker of 5 pack years. I have had persistent chest pain for 3 months with a negative xray one month ago and little to no cough every couple of days a dry cough arises on e or twice in the day. I am messaging to ask if lung carcinoma specifically sclc due to my smoking is possible at such a young age. How often do lung carcinoma and sclc occur from smoking at an age under 30.

Thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
The chances of cancer are less

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Considering your dry cough and smoking history, you are at a risk of COPD rather then lung malignancy. It could be smoker's cough.

2. In absence of any other symptom, lung malignancy is less likely. SCLC is a very aggressive tumor and progressess very fast and hence other symptoms do manifest unlike your case.

3.Most cases of SCLC occur in individuals aged 60-80 years and it is very infrequent in the young age.

4. However, you need to visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated. Basic Investigations required - chest xray, pft and sputum examination.

5. Remember, its never too late for smoking cessation.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Have had chest pain. X-ray normal. Have dry cough and do smoking. Suggest? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I have had peripheral nervous symptoms. Fasciculations and stiff crampy extremeties for 11 months. 8 months ago I had a Chest Ct which was negative with no findings. I had a chest x XXXXXXX additionally one month ago due to the chest tightness/pain and a cough that occurs very seldomly maybe 1 or 2 days a week at most and only once or so during that day. My concern is that the neurologic symptoms of the peripheral nervous system are from a lung carcinoma specifically sclc. My symptoms started occuring when I was 28 and it being nearly 1 year now with no findings, I am still symptomatic. I have also had brain MRI as well as all 3 segments of my spine.
All radiographs of chest(CT 8 months ago, x XXXXXXX 1 month) ago were negative as well as spine and brain mri's 3 months ago.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral nervous system symptoms to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

1. The peripheral nervous system symptoms are unlikely to be due to SCLC lung, since it is a very aggressive type of malignancy and very fast growing, so fast that it is selodm diagnosed in initial stages. 8 months and all tests negative is a very unlikely scenario for sclc lung!

2. Please get yourself evaluated for COPD. Please visit a pulmonologist and get PFT done.

3. You can visit a neurologist seperately for the neurological symptoms.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist