Have had chest X-ray and had pneumonia. Findings?

General Surgeon
I have received results back from an chest xray and am wondering what it all means as my doctor will only be available this coming Monday. It states that the left heart boarder appears obscured, suggesting left lingular consolidation. It also states that there are patcy opacities in the right upper lobe, and right lower libe as well as the right apex. I don't understand it but it also states that 'suggestive of multifocal consolidation and most likely infective in nature'. I have previously had pneumonia. Does this all mean that it is back again? I'm sorry but I don't understand all this medical terminology. Can you help as I am concerned and have been struggling with a lot of pain! ?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need medical attention at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

You have not mentioned the reason for which your doctor advised you a chest X XXXXXXX I presume from the past history of pnemonia that possibly you have got the symptoms of a like cough,fever, tachycardia, and may be breathlessness.

Your X XXXXXXX report shows the following:
1. Left heart border appears obscured suggesting left lingular consolidation: Ligula is a part of the lung, and possibly there is a pneumonic patch which is obscuring the normal outline of left side of the heart.

2. Pathcy opacities right upper lobe, right lower lobe and right apex : This suggests infection with pnumonic patches in different lobes/parts of the right lung.

3. Suggestive of multifocal consolidation : This means that the infection causing pneumonic pathces are at multiple places of lung.

Lungs normally contain air. However due to infection, the lung tissue is filled up with infective secretions which gives rise to a state of solidification of the lung tissue which is known as consolidation in medical field.

4. Most likely infective in nature : The state of consolidation in the lung can happen in many conditions. I do not want to confuse you by naming all the conditions, but in your case this suggests that the process is due to infection by some pathological organism.

In summary, with the previous history of pneumonia, this type of X XXXXXXX picture is very much suggestive of a re infection causing pnemonic patches in different parts of your lungs, which seems to be extensive.

I would suggest you to see your treating doctor at the earliest possible who after examining you again and going through the report may advise you for admission in hospital depending on the clinical severity of your symptoms, so that further investigations to know the cause or type of organism, and preventing further complications may be initiated possibly by immediate intravenous antibiotics, physiotherapy and many other modalities available in a hospital. These details are not to frighten you, but to emphasize on the fact that you need medical attention at the earliest.

I hope I have replied to your query. I will be happy to answer any other doubt you may be having on this, and please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for chosing XXXXXXX for your health query. Take care.