Have had burning throat and chest tightness. Looking for treatment?

General Surgeon
hello ive had burning of throat for over a week or more , i think from acid reflux , ive also had bad reactions from the ppis.
i,ve got an appointment with my gi on weds .
i was weaning off the ppi , one every day , but changed back to everyday today.
A few questions , should i wait till i see my GI on weds or should i take something else with the ppi ? ive a tight chest also at night especially.
and how long does it take the acid to cause bad damage ?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all you should know that if you do not tolerate ppi, there is another anti-acid class of drugs, called H2 blockers (Ranitidine for example). It is common that some patients who do not tolerate one of mentioned class have a good response for another group of anti-acids. So you should ask your doctor to get prescribed for other anti-acids.
During this couple of days before your doctor visit you can try some acid neutralizing medicines without prescription. Drinking more water, prevent coffee, soft drinks, juices and fatty foods should improve your symptoms. You should also try to put your head a little higher when sleeping.
If it is about tight chest you should know that acid reflux is very often associated with asthma, that is why you should have spirometry performed by you doctor to rule this one out. ECG is also advisable to rule heart ischeamia out.
It is very hard to tell how long does it take the acid to cause peptic ulcer or any other bad things. It depends of stress, type of food and drinks and medicines. All this things are accelerating gastric mucosa destruction. Sometimes an ulcer can appear during one day (it is called stress ulcer).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have had burning throat and chest tightness. Looking for treatment? 10 minutes later
Thanks for your reply , i was only diagnosed with the hiatal hernia about 3 months back , i was on the 40 mg protium and bad side effects , so i went to doc and he reduced to 20 mg for 2 weeks , and last week i used one every other day , i had bad diarrhea last Sat for one night but doc said that had nothing to do with weaning. since then ive had the burning in throat , i guess i am a bit stressed out because of the symptoms and to be honest my doctor is in no way helpful, maybe a second opinion is best or another doctor !. i went to a chemist and she gave me Zantac but i didnt know if i could use it with ppis ? maybe at night ? I had similar symptoms of the chest before and did the blow test a few months back, and he said it was ok . could it be a rebound effect i read about , because i tried to stop the tabs?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Zantac is the H2 blocker I was talking about. It should be taken instead of Protium, not together. Zantac should be taken 300 mg in the morning with your breakfast.
If it is about diarrhea Protium and all other ppis can cause diarrhea and result even with pseudomembranous enterocolitis which is very serious condition.
Blow test could not reveal bronchial spasm as it was not present during the examination. So it should be repeated. And yes, it can be triggered by lack of ppis.
One more thing. Stress also increases acid secretion and for sure it does not help at all. You should start with Magnesium supplementation and breathing exercises and if it wont help, some sedative medicines might be helpful.
So in conclusion: Zantac 300 mg in the morning instead of Protium (it should be approved by your doctor), Magnesium 400 mg a day, and blow test if chest symptoms wont go away.
And if this therapy wont help at all, endoscopy should be repeated with Helicobacter Pylori test.

Hope this will help.