Have had burning pain in leg and have osteopenia. Are they related?

I have had a gripping,burning pain in my right leg XXXXXXX for a while. It comes and goes but this time it has intensified and stayed the longest. I have had x-rays for bone fractures and there is none. My calfs feel like they are bubbling. I have osteopenia. Does this have anything to do with this condition,otherwise, I am at my wits end to know what to do.
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing in
Osteopenia usually does not cause pain unless there is fracture of the bone, some fracture in bone due to osteopenia is not as painful as it is due to injury. Now about the causes of the pain you are suffering in right leg are:
1. The main cause for the pain is trauma or injury. Falls, near falls, and twisting injuries can damage bones, muscles, and joints of the leg or a combination of all three.
2. Ligament injury or muscular spasm of the calf muscle at the lower leg.
3. Sprain and strains of the part causes due to the stretch of the muscle or tendon.
4. Low back pain: Nerve compression at vertebral level can cause pain in the leg. Sciatica nerve is another cause but its pain is up to the buttocks.
5. Neuropathy: Pain may occur from peripheral nerve inflammation not associated with the spinal cord. These conditions are known as peripheral neuropathies. This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness.
6. Deficiency of Calcium and other vitamins
7. Chronic illness like Diabetes, Peripheral Artery Disease, Inflammation of the part.
8. Osteoarthritis, Gout and Rheumatoid Arthritis
9. Blood clot in the peripheral artery (Deep Vein Thrombosis)

You need to be investigated for the cause of the pain. In my opinion it may be due to deficiency of calcium and vitamins or due to muscular or tendon spasm. To get rid from the pain:
1. Take some analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs.
2. Wear elastic bandage at the site.
3. Do hot fermentation at the site 2-3 times a day.
4. If there is swelling than keep the leg elevated while sleeping or sitting.
5. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel at the site.

Consult your doctor if you do not get relief from the above said measures. Get yourself investigated for the cause. Hope I have answered your query. Write back for any doubt.

Best Wishes and have a speedy recovery
Dr. Kulbir Singh