Have had bronchitis. What treatment should be done?

I have had bronchitis for ten days, an the worst part is I am Terri Bly weak. What can be done
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 59 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

The description of your query is very tiny. What I mean to ask you is, do you smoke?
Have you ever had any exacerbation of your disease?

Anyway, coming to the main question, most common cause of bronchitis is smoking. So due to the brochitis and its exacerbation, generally any person becomes cachectic and there will be decreased intake of food leading to malnutrition and finally weight lose.

So, for your generalized weight loss and weakness, I advise you to consult a dietician and plan your regular diet. This will help you a lot.

Secondly, if you smoke regularly, avoid smoking. If unable to avoid smoking, consult a de-addiction centre. Take good protein diet and eat lot of fruits.

I hope this answer will help you. If you need any further clarifications, feel free to get back to me.

Follow-up: Have had bronchitis. What treatment should be done? 45 minutes later
First of all I do not smoke or drink. This started on me 12 days ago, with temp, aching, course coughing. All have subsided except the cough an weakness. I have no other health problems, an I am 62 yrs old. How long will this weakness stay with me? An I have seen a dr who give me amoxicillin. This med made me feel worse. So I quit taking the amoxicillin
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

I appreciate your reply with some additional details with the help of which I shall answer your main concern.

You are a non-smoker and non-alcoholic.

It probably is ACUTE BRONCHITIS caused by either bacteria /viral agents. If you get the sputum culture and sensitivity it gives us the exact cause for the bronchitis in your case and correct antibiotic can be formulated and administered to treat the condition.

Generally any diseased person due to infection becomes weak due to reduced appetite, decreased food intake and chemical mediators released by the infecting agent.

But what I suspect in your case that you are incompletely treated for bronchitis as you have not completed the full course of antibiotic. Even with no clinical symptoms, the infection can linger in the body causing the weakness.

Once the infection is cured completely you will surely feel better as your appetite and metabolism would improve.

So, I advise you to consult a pulmonologist and after detailed examination you may be placed on specific antibiotic which will put you out of trouble.

Hope, this answers your query.

If you need further clarification, please write back.

Thank you.