Have had bronchitis. On doxycycline. Feeling clear in chest. Noticed lump on jaw line. Worrisome

ENT Specialist
Hi, have had bronchitis about a week now. Starting to really feel clear in chest. Been on doxycycline too. Now today gland on left jaw line flared up. Any ideas
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 28 minutes later

It was pleasing to know that you are recovering well to bronchitis with doxycycline. And I understand your concern with this gland flare (lump). The most likely cause of this lump would be enlarged lymphnode.

Such enlarged and isolated lymphnode is not very concerning, however I would advice the following basic investigations to make sure these lumps are not sinister. The tests include:
(1) C.T. scan of chest.
(2) F.N.A.C. from node on neck.
(3) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab, also for AFB.

Results of these investigations will give us some clue about your problem.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

With Regards
Follow-up: Have had bronchitis. On doxycycline. Feeling clear in chest. Noticed lump on jaw line. Worrisome 1 hour later
Is this something that can typically happen with a respiratory illness. I actually believe it was a real nasty virus, as my wife and daughter both got it.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 4 hours later

Welcome again in H.C.M. for re-writing your queries.

The lymph nodes in the neck usually gets enlarged with an infection in the area. But it can also get enlarged with infections in other parts of the body. That is because, infections can spread through the lymphatic channel.

As you said, viral infections also can cause it. But this can be confirmed only after a throat swab culture and F.N.A.C. from lymph node.

I hope your queries are being answered.

With Regards.