Have had blood test. What does it indicate?

I am having following abnormalities in my latest blood test report. Please guide me what to do ?
1)hematocrit(pcv) 52.6,
2)mcv 105.4,
3)red cell distribution width sd(rdw-sd) 59.7,
4)red cell distribution width (rdw-cv) 15.4
5)T4 - 12.2
6)Total cholestrol-200
7) Bilirubin -Direct 0.26
8) Chloride- 97
9) High Sensitive c-reactive protein-0.19 moderate risk
10)Homocysteine -42.68
11) Liporprotein-40.80
12)Vitamin b12- 166
13) 25 Oh vitamin D (total)- 21.33
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 43 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Your report mostly have the following abnormal values. Others are either normal or just on the edge. Mostly your report means that you are at risk of heart diseases.
High mcv
Cholesterol high
High homocysteine levels
Low b 12 levels
High lipoprotein levels

My advice would be to make some lifestyle changes as follows:

1. Diet: Take 3 proper meals and 3 small snacks in a day. Take high fiber diet including whole grains, digestive biscuits, fruits and raw vegetables. Reduce the calories in your diet. High calorie food includes milk products like cheese, butter, ghee, ice-cream, sweets, etc. Avoid salt, oil and sugar in diet.

2. Exercise: exercise at least 20 times a day. Exercise can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, etc. Take a snack before you go for exercise.

3. Stress: reduce stress in life by practicing relaxation techniques, breathing techniques and meditation.

Apart from the above you need supplements in the dose of 1200 to 1500 mcg in a day.

Check with your physician about medicines for hypertension.

Repeat the blood tests every year.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Have had blood test. What does it indicate? 3 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,
But what about high T4 level and low 25 oh vitamin D.
Am I going to develop hyperthyroid also ? I am really worried about Thyroid because I can control other levels but Thyroid.....Its prpblematic and that also Hyperthyroid.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 14 hours later

Both the levels are on the edge.

For low Vitamin D levels you can take supplements like Shellcal Tab, etc one daily after consultation with your physician. It is not of much worry.

We do need to watch the T4 levels. You need to get a detailed thyroid profile in blood tests and an ultrasound of thyroid to check for nodules, etc in thyroid. The usual symptoms of hyperthyroidism are

•     Sudden weight loss, even when your appetite and the amount and type of food you eat remain the same or even increase
•     Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia) or pounding of your heart (palpitations)
•     Increased appetite
•     Nervousness, anxiety and irritability
•     Tremor — usually a fine trembling in your hands and fingers
•     Sweating
•     Increased sensitivity to heat
•     Changes in bowel patterns, especially more frequent bowel movements

Check if you have these symptoms. When and how you will be treated will depend on many factors including your age, socioeconomic factors, symptoms, medical complications, the presence of thyroid swelling, etc.

Since the T4 levels are only slightly raised, I think that you watch for symptoms and stay in touch with a doctor. There are medicines available that specifically control symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Beta-blockers are indicated if someone has hyperthyroid symptoms plus hypertension.

If symptoms worsen or the levels go higher, you may have one of the following choices. The choices are thioamides, radio-active iodine and surgery. Surgery is usually the last resort. Thioamides are used in younger age-group. In western countries the most commonly used treatment is radioactive iodine. These treatments usually result in life-long hypothyroidism apart from other side-effects.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee