Have had bad episode of pharyngitis. Took antibiotics and tonsils removed. Why am I getting difficulty in breathing?

ENT Specialist
I had bad episode of pharyngitis in feb 2012. The symptoms I had we're sore throat, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, fatigue, white patches on my tonsils, rash on my finger knuckles. I also used to feel drowsy and had some times difficulty in pronouncing certain words..Since then I have had a few courses of antibiotics, had my tonsils removed in may 2012.. The difficulty in swallowing and sore throat is not there but, I do still feel uneasy in breathing, get constant fullness in my ears and sinus (although my nose isn't blocked). I constantly feel very uneasy under the chin upto the ears.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. There is a possibility of a severe viremia associated with your episode of pharyngitis in Feb 2012.

2. That would explain your symptoms. Meningism due to the virus may explain the fatigue, drowsiness and difficulty in pronouncing certain words.

3. The rash on the knuckles was probably allergy or eczema.

4. The uneasiness in the breathing may be due to lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat and on the back of the tongue. Get a video laryngoscopy done. Get your Lung (Pulmonary) function tests (Spirometry) done. Get a Chest X-ray done.

5. To check for the cause of the ear fullness, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done.

6. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal sinuses) done to rule out sinusitis. You may discuss with your physicians the possibility of 'Biofilm' formation in the sinuses which may not respond to multiple courses of antibiotics. Sometimes there is a fungal infection.

7. The uneasy feeling under the chin to the ear is either a referred sensation from your throat, ear and sinuses or it is a neuralgia. get a Neurologist's opinion on this.

8. You may follow up here with your test results.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.